Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pray when you drive... and other comparisons.


Day 11 of 40

Exodus 34:14
New Living Translation (NLT)
You must worship no other gods, for the LORD, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.

He’s jealous for you.
Jealous of your time, your thoughts, even your love.

In chapter 11, we’re reading about how God wants a best friend relationship with us.
He wants to be that close confidante we’ve always craved and never quite found completely in a mere man or woman.
Oh we can have some wonderful, rich relationships here on earth, but NOTHING compares to the closeness of a relationship with God.

And it doesn’t even have to be a specific time to “get away”!
In fact, my days are often filled with just including him in my everyday life.
I wish I had the life that allowed me an hour or two of studying my bible everyday, but that is not the case.
One thing I’ve had to learn the hard way is how to incorporate Him in my hectic schedule.
It’s pretty simple actually.
I remember once when I was an intern at my church… I was probably the hardest kid to get into the habit of reading my bible everyday (thanks a MILLION to my pastors who kept working on that with me!).
Then one day, our youth pastor said something I’ll never forget.
He said: Michelle, pray when you drive!

So simple… yet changed my life.
Yeah. Why not?
How often do you drive from point A to point B and just think about nothing… or maybe you think about too many things.
If you look for Him, Jesus will show up in your car and you can have a quick conversation with him and feel so much better about your crazy life.

Another thing that I’ve found on the falling in LOVE with Jesus thing… is make time for special times in your week just to spend with Him.
I shared with you the other day about how Jesus took me out for lunch on valentines day…
Well let me share another special lunch date we once had.

There’s a bench at the park across the street from my work that is so warm and sunny in the summer. One day last summer I went over there to eat my sandwich and ended up reading something in the bible that totally changed my life.
It felt like Jesus was just sitting right there with me and we were just dialogueing about life!
Then after my half-hour break was up, I started heading back to work with a little pain in my heart.
I didn’t want to leave that lovely place!
I didn’t want the conversation to end!
I felt like Jesus just said to me, “don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere. We can continue this conversation as you work!”

See, he showed me that day that you don’t need to say goodbye at the end of a Jesus date.
When I got back to work I was so excited to find that He had gone with me that I texted my friend Kayla and explained what had happened.
It’s like having a boyfriend you never have to say goodbye to!
Someone who’s always there that you can talk with whenever… and the cool part is, He’ll never ever break my heart.
(Now ladies, let me ask you… how cool is THAT??)

He’s always there… don’t doubt it.
He sees everything you’re going thru… what makes you laugh, what makes you cry and everything in between.
Practicing remaining in His presence throughout the day is something I pray that everyone who reads this blog gets to experience.
He’s SO worth it!
Learning to do this will completely change your perspective on everything you do in life.
He’s so beautiful!
Look for Him. He never disappoints. J



No comments:

Post a Comment